Friday, June 21, 2013

Parc Guell and Gracia

Today we went up to Parc Guell for the day! And when I say up... I mean UP... it was basically on top of a mountain overlooking all of Barcelona! To get there, we took the metro and then had to walk up streets at a crazy incline to get to the entrance of the park. Here is one of the streets (and it's not even the worst one!)



When we finally made it to the top, our legs killing us, we continued to make our way to the top point with a fantastic overlook of the city and the Mediterranean. Parc Guell was created by Gaudi but is different from his other works because it focuses more on nature and landscape gardening. However, it still has the two gate houses at the Centre d'Interpretac, which are "typical" Gaudi style. It was such a great place to spend the day and enjoy the outdoors. It amazes me how unique the park is and how different sections can be so different when designed by the same architect. 

 (Tibidabo in the distance)
(Barcelona & La Sagrada Familia)

(Parc Guell)

While on that side of town, we also visited the Hospital de la Santa Creu I de Sant Pau, which was designed by the architect Domenech i Montaner. I was not expecting it to be so beautiful but it really impressed me! 


After all of that walking, we were hungry and thirsty so we made our way towards the Sagrada Familia for tapas and drinks. The Sagrada Familia is one of the places I'm most looking forward to touring... but for now I just get to see the outside. Hopefully next week I'll get to go inside and see the masterpiece up close! 

Plan for tonight: dinner then down to Barri Gotic for drinks with friends :) 

Love, 
RLD

No comments:

Post a Comment