Monday, June 17, 2013

First Day of Classes

As you can tell from the post title, today was my first day of classes! Luckily, they are only about 7 blocks up the street so I was able to walk. That is one thing I already love about being here - being able to walk a TON!

Let's jump right in... I had to be there at 8AM for a placement test. Since I know ZERO spanish, I didn't have to take a placement test! Yay! AND... I wasn't the only one :) I got to meet some awesome people from all over the world and while everyone else was taking their tests, we got to sit in the courtyard and chat. My beginner group has 7 people in it this week (including me) and are from: Australia (2), Holland, Germany, Switzerland, and Sweden. I am the only one from the United States!

After everyone was done testing, we had a "Welcome to Barcelona" presentation where we found out about daily events and the nightlife. Because of the program we are in, we all can get put on a guest list and get free cover to some of the best clubs/bars in Barcelona. There is stuff going on every night! Then, we got sent off to our classrooms with our groups based on spanish levels and the placement test.

It was a little overwhelming at first because the professors will ONLY speak to us in Spanish but it got better as the day went on. We were in class from 9-10:45 then had a short break where we went to grab a sandwich. When we returned at 11:15, we had a different professor and learned until 13:00. I'm SO glad I am in the morning group this week so I'm not at school until 17:00 (that would cut into my beach time:) ).

After classes, my brother and I ventured out on the Metro to find a huge (8 floors!) department store, El Corte Ingles. I desperately need a hair drier and didn't bring my US one because of the outlet/voltage difference. I figured since I'm going to be in Europe for 7 weeks, it was worth it to be able to dry my hair and not feel gross all the time. I also got a mini travel-size straightener... shhh don't tell... I just couldn't help myself!! On our way back, we stopped to get giant (1.5 L) water bottles to stay hydrated.

After dropping off all of that at our student flat (basically a dorm), we ventured out again to explore some of Barri Gotic and walk around. I feel like a pro on the Metro now! We got off the Metro at the Arc de Triomf stop and walked through there towards the Parc de la Cuitadella. Below are a few pictures from there!




Well, I am completely exhausted and my legs kill! Time to rest up before dinner! 

Love, 
RLD

No comments:

Post a Comment