Sunday, June 23, 2013

Montserrat, Sitges, and Tibidabo

Well, I crossed a lot off of my to-do list this weekend and it's not even over yet (tomorrow is a holiday!). On Saturday, I went on a day excursion with my school and another school to Montserrat and Sitges. The places are completely different but I'm so glad I was able to see both in one day! Let's start with Montserrat...


It is absolutely breath-taking there! Montserrat means "saw mountain" because the peaks look like saw teeth. It was so crazy because Montserrat is the ONLY place like it for as far as we could see (and probably everywhere)! All of the other mountains are beautiful but they just look like normal mountains. Montserrat is amazing!

 To get to the top, you either hike up an hour (steep incline) or take the Funicular. Because of the time we had before we needed to get back on the bus, we decided to take the Funicular to the top and then walk down. It was important that we had plenty of time to take pictures and didn't want to be rushed! The Funicular was an incredibly steep incline but had amazing views the entire way up. When we got to the top, we took pictures, hiked around a bit, and found some great views to soak in. 




While walking down from a peak where we took group picture (above), the woman in the picture slipped and fell and broke her ankle. She was so tough but had to be taken down the mountain in a 4WD ambulance where they were met by a real ambulance. She was taken into a local town and had surgery last night to fix her ankle. We are all hoping she has a quick recovery! 

After Montserrat, we headed to the coast to a town called Sitges. It is located on the Mediterranean, about 45 minutes south of Barcelona. Sitges is well known for an annual festival, as well as the beautiful beaches! We had a few hours to spend here so we went to the beach, had a drink and some lunch, then laid on the beach! 



The water was so pretty! I couldn't get enough of it! Also, there were tons of sailboats. If I had more time, I would have loved to go out on a Hobie Cat for a few hours in the clear water!

Last night, my brother and I went to Passeig de Gracia for tapas. We found a great restaurant and were able to sit outside to eat and drink (cerveza for me, Coke for him). I kept their business card so I can take my mom and aunt there in a few weeks.. it was THAT good! 

Today, my brother, a girl from my classes, and I went up to Tibidabo. Tibidabo is an amusement park/fun park located on the top of a mountain overlooking Barcelona. We had such a great time! One of my favorite things we did was a SCARY haunted house! It was so cool and such a great time... and very scary! 

I'm exhausted. This city is wearing me out!

Love,
RLD

1 comment:

  1. These pictures of you we're just what the kids needed. Oliver wanted to know where you were in the ocean shot and it was very hard to convince him that you would just takes picture of the water instead of swimming in it. Hope you're having an amazing week! B et al.

    ReplyDelete