Thursday, July 18, 2013

Valencia

I've only been in Valencia for less than a week but... I love it here!!! 

First up: housing. 

I am staying at the University, which is where my classes are held. It is like being a college freshman again living in a residence hall but being so close to my 9am classes makes it worth it. The other major bonus to staying here is that it is a 20-minute, straight-shot walk to the beach. However, I decided to rent a bike for the two weeks I am staying here (the city is fairly bike-friendly and has many parks to ride through) so it only takes a few minutes to get to the beach. Luckily, I have a private room at the residence hall so it isn't too bad!

Next: the Old City

The old city is about a 15-minute bike ride or a few stops down on the metro. Unlike Barcelona, the metro is not the main transportation in the city. The buses are fairly popular, bikes (as mentioned before, and I guess cars/taxis. The public transportation stops at midnight so it is fairly common to take a taxi home from the old city. The architecture in the city is amazing and there are great plazas everywhere. Also, there are gardens and parks surrounding the out city where a river used to run. It is a great mix of nature and architecture!

The Beach

Biking to the beach is so easy! It only takes a few minutes and there are bike paths the whole way. The beach I am near is called Malvarossa. It is the middle beach in Valencia and very nice! The beach is wide and there is tons of space to spread out, unlike Barcelona where everyone is cramped together! The water is warm and there are some waves so it is fun to plan in the sea. Also, there are restaurants all up and down the boardwalk with seafood, sandwiches, and drinks. I love the beach so being this close has been great!

To-Do List:

As always, I have to have a "to-do" list. Some of these things I've already done but I still want them on my list! It is too hard to number what is more important so I'm just going to write it all:


  • Drinks in Barrio del Carmen 
  • Cathedral 
  • Iglesia de Santa Catalina 
  • Mercado Central
  • Plaza del Ayuntamiento 
  • Ciudad de las Artes y las Ciencias - can't wait to go here! It is made up of three main buildings (which are super cool by themselves!)
Hemisferic - IMAX dome/planetarium 

Museo de la Ciencias Principe Felipe - a science museum with exhibits on genetics and electricity 

Oceanografic - Europe's largest aquarium


  • Gulliver - a giant playground shaped like Gulliver

  • Jardines del Real
  • Jardin Botanico
  • Jardines del Turia
Hopefully I'll be able to see everything before I leave! Another post soon...

Love, 
RLD

No comments:

Post a Comment