Saturday, July 13, 2013

Finishing Up Barcelona

My last week in Barcelona was a very busy one! There was so much I wanted to do before leaving and luckily, I was able to get it all done! Here are the highlights:

Casa Batllo
Casa Batllo is a house on Passeig de Gracia that was built by Gaudi for the Batllo family. It was truly spectacular and so unique. There are no straight lines in the house - everything is curved to resemble nature (a lot looks like it was influenced by the sea and waves). My mom, aunt, and I toured the house and used an audio guide that walks you through the entire house giving history and information as you go. It was great to learn about the symbolism and meaning behind the details. Everything in the house had a specific purpose and influence. It is amazing what Gaudi created! My favorite parts were the colorful mosaics and the staircases.  




La Sagrada Familia
I saved the number one thing on my to-do list and it more than lived up to my expectations! My mom, aunt, brother, and I all toured La Sagrada Familia on Thursday and it was amazing. I feel like that is the only way to describe it! We got tickets to go up one of the towers on the "Passion" facade so we took an elevator up and then had to walk up some stairs. When at the top, we had a great view of Barcelona.


Then, we picked up our audio guides and began our tour of the inside. The inside was made to resemble nature, like most of Gaudi's works. The columns look like tree trunks that branch out and the ceiling looks like leaves and the top of trees. Everything inside and outside La Sagrada Familia has a specific biblical purpose and is extremely detailed. I can't wait to return when it is finished (they predict 2030) so I can see Gaudi's masterpiece in its fullest. 




I was very sad to leave Barcelona but I know I will be back soon. It is an amazing city with so much to do and see! Next stop: Valencia!

Love,
RLD

No comments:

Post a Comment