Saturday, July 6, 2013

So much to do!

With my last week in Barcelona starting today, I've realized how much I've done while being here... but I've also realized how much I still want to do! My mom and aunt arrived yesterday so I'm very excited to do some exploring with them and show them the city! Here's what I've been up to the past week...

On Sunday, my brother and I went to the beach (as usual) and then I wanted to walk around and visit one of the museums that I was really excited about seeing - Museu Maritim! The museum had a great exhibit called Planet Ocean with the purpose of increasing awareness of the dangers that threaten our oceans. There were beautiful photographs of ocean life and towns, cities, and communities that are directly affected by rising sea levels, pollution, etc. The photographs were amazing and I really enjoyed the exhibit. There is also a full size replica of Don Juan of Austria's flagship. The original was launched to lead a Spanish-Venetian fleet in a battle against the Turks in 1571. Below are a few pictures:




On Sunday evening, Spain was playing Brazil in the FIFA Confederations Cup Finals... In Brazil. The game started at midnight our time so we decided to go to an Irish Pub to watch. It was packed and I would say it was about half Brazil fans and half Spain fans. Brazil scoring in the first 2 minutes didn't get the game started the right way... and Spain ended up losing pretty bad... but it was a great experience! Both countries take their soccer VERY seriously!! I was very tired Monday morning but it was well worth it!

This past week I also went on a Fat Tire Bike Tour with two girls I met here in Barcelona through school. It was AWESOME! I loved getting to bike through the city and learn about all of the history, architecture, and culture... in English! Majority of the tours are in Spanish so while I still enjoy them, it's hard to understand since I know about 3 weeks worth of Spanish! This tour was great - the guide was knowledgable about Barcelona and hilarious, we got to majority of the major places in the city (Plaza Sant Jaume, Plaza del Rei, La Catedral, Palau de la Musica Catalana, La Sagrada Familia, and many more) and we got to stop at the beach for some sangria and cerveza towards the end. They also have bike tours in Paris (and a night bike tour!) so I am definitely planning on doing that once I get to France. 


Let's just say that 4th of July outside of the states is not the same. Two of my American friends and I went all over the city trying to find other Americans to celebrate with but it was quiet. We went to a few American bars and even some Irish pubs (Americans tend to hang out here) and nobody was celebrating! We still had a great time but it was nothing like grilling out, drinking beer, and fireworks in the states! Hey... at least we still rocked the red, white, and blue all day!



Last night, I took Flamenco lessons with two friends! It was SO much fun but I was absolutely terrible - as expected! We all had such a great time learning the steps and hand movements and laughing at ourselves the entire time. Luckily, no one was good at it so my poor dance skills didn't stand out as much! 


After the lessons, we all needed a drink so we found a small little plaza and had dinner and cava outside. It was one of the best dinners I've had since in Barcelona! 

Plan for today? Headed to the beach now then touring La Catedral tonight and hopefully getting to see the Sardana, a traditional Catalan dance symbolizing unity and identity that is performed multiple places in the city on Saturday nights!

Love, 
RLD

No comments:

Post a Comment